Blog Running – Republican Extremism – ‘If Obama endorses his own impeachment, GOP will agree not to destroy the U.S. economy’
‘Well, not quite, but almost’.
‘Zach Carter and Luke Johnson of the Huffington Post report on a developing plan by House Republicans to demand an amazing array of concessions in exchange for raising the debt limit’:
“House Republicans plan to demand major perks for coal companies and Wall Street banks, alongside healthcare and social service cuts and a one-year delay in the implementation of Obamacare, in exchange for raising the debt ceiling until the end of 2014, according to a source close to the House GOP leadership. […]”
- ‘The Republican plan, which would also constitute a significant overhaul of the environmental and financial regulatory system,
- ‘would cut pensions for Federal employees
- ‘and raise taxes on immigrant families with parents who do not have a Social Security number…
- ‘The plan would increase Medicare means testing,
- ‘and would eliminate social service block grants and a fund for preventative healthcare in the Affordable Care Act that conservatives have characterized as a “slush fund.” […]’
‘Coal and oil companies would benefit from provisions to expand offshore drilling and drilling on federal lands. The proposal blocks the federal government from regulating greenhouse gas emissions and coal ash’,
- ‘and would give Congress the power to veto any “major” regulation issued by a federal agency (because an affirmative vote would be required, Congress could void new rules simply through inaction)’.
‘I have no idea if House Republicans will actually ask for all these things or not; one House GOP aide would only tell me that “everything is being debated.” But other reports have said they will lay down a similar list of demands’.
‘With the announcement today that the new debt limit deadline is October 17th, and with it all but certain that Republicans will drop their government shutdown push in the wake of today’s Senate vote to move forward on funding the government despite Ted Cruz’s resistance, this coming confrontation over the debt limit is the one that will really matter’.
From : http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/09/25/if-obama-endorses-his-own-impeachment-gop-will-agree-not-to-destroy-the-economy/