A FANTASTIC piece by Steven D. over at Booman Tribune.
This describes the ‘New’ Republican Party perfectly.
‘Imagine if you will a country where the government does nothing to prevent “austerity” measures from being imposed’.
‘You know, like drastically altering the protections of Social Security, Medicare and – of course – eliminating any services for the poor, including housing, unemployment insurance, food stamps, and especially Medicaid’.
‘A country where the stock market just happens to take a big time dive because all the free money pumped into it by the Federal Reserve finally isn’t enough to keep that “bubble” afloat’.
‘A country where no one wants to buy its debt anymore, or invests in infrastructure upgrades’.
‘A country where there is no trickle down and never has been any’.
‘A country in dire economic straits just in time for the 2016 election for President’.
‘And a right wing extremist, riding this wave of economic misery and Koch Industries’ SuperPac money is elected president with solid Republican majorities in the House and Senate’.
‘President Ted Cruz, say’.
‘I know, this is mere speculation on my part, but humor me. Let’s consider this hypothetical for a moment. What would Ted Cruz do if he became President in 2016’?
‘We have a pretty clear idea of what Republicans want to do. It’s not like they haven;t been hiding their agenda from us. Let’s make a short list’:
1. ‘Imagine the elimination of the EPA and the Clean Air and Water Acts. Imagine fracking everywhere a piece of oil/methane enriched shale exists, even in the Monterrey shale under the largest earthquake zone in the United states, the San Andreas fault in California’.
‘Imagine the cost of fresh drinking water skyrocketing. Imagine states like Michigan and Wisconsin selling off the rights to their share of the Great Lakes to private industry’.
2. ‘Imagine no more “public schools – only charter schools, with differing tiers for one’s ability to pay. Guess who would get left with the worst of the worst? Imagine what sort of people would even want to be teachers under such circumstances’.
3. ‘Imagine No more SEC, FTC, or any other agency that might get in the way of our high rollers in the Financial Markets. Imagine those high rollers getting to play with all the FISA taxes we pay for our retirement’.
4. ‘Imagine the First Amendment? Well, I wouldn’t, except for churches – Christian churches, preferably of the Fundamentalist variety. As for free speech, unless you’re a bona fide member of your local Tea Party faction, expect to be arrested if you dare to criticize your dear Republican leaders’.
5. ‘Fourth Amendment? Fuggetaboutit! The NSA has’.
6. ‘Second Amendment on the other hand, well, imagine Florida – on meth. Imagine nightly shootings of anyone considered “threatening” to “Real Americans.” Imagine a raft of “justifiable homicides” under the most lenient gun laws the NRA could ever dream up’.
7. ‘Imagine the police on steroids, too. Well imagine police forces even more militarized than they are now. It isn’t hard to do. People in gated communities of overpriced McMansions might be happy as clams, but what if you don’t fit the profile of one of those people? Consider yourself a suspect of anything at anytime by your friendly neighborhood watch/slash law enforcement agency’.
8. ‘Imagine a Supreme Court now packed with Conservative Justices (even if they have to enlarge the number on the Court upwards to do it). Say so long to anti-discrimination statutes and equal opportunity laws, and the protection of a person’s rights unless you are a corporate person. Say so long to voting rights for millions of the “wrong people” – excuse me, millions more of the wrong people. And most of all, say so long to abortion and contraceptive rights unless you can afford a trip to Mexico, Europe or possibly Canada’.
9. ‘Imagine the death of Labor Unions, and with them labor laws, OSHA and workplace protections, workman compensation laws – basically everything that might give the worker any leverage against his or her employer’.
10. ‘Obamacare will be defunded and allowed to become just another liberal big government policy failure. The slow death, rather than the quick one. And then God help you if you have a pre-existing condition’.
11. ‘Immigrants? All the White people you want will still be able to make it here from Canada or Europe. Africans, Asians (well unless some multinational company insists) and especially “you know who” (i.e., anyone from South of the border) will be persona non grata, even if they may have been born here. Which leads me to my next President Ted Cruz “hypothetical” policy …’
12. ‘Internment Camps for “Undesirables.” That means anyone who is considered an “illegal” alien, of course, but the category is essentially unlimited. Just ask the Greeks. Gays, Lesbians, Trans people, sex workers, scary “Mooslims” (even if they might actually be Sikhs or some other religious minority), homeless people, activists with too many arrests for attending illegal protests – well, the sky’s the limit once you get that ball rolling. Just ask George Takei, or any Native American stuck on the res’.
13. ‘Imagine local communities being permitted to enforce “Biblical Law.” Think I’m nuts? Well, do you think the Federal government under Ted Cruz would lift a finger to enforce constitutional protections if it would irritate his constituents – i.e., the far Christian right? Do you think a packed conservative Court led by a still youthful Chief Justice Roberts would interfere in a whatever the states wish to allow at the local level, such as enforced prayer in school, laws that make women “submit” to their fathers and husbands (easy enough to do if you weaken domestic violence laws even further), etc.’?
From : http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2013/7/28/114236/703